Fencing serves as the most dominant visual element of your landscape. Here are some tips that you should follow when choosing a fence for your property.
Tips For Choosing A Fence
- Take a look at fences in other yards. See which ones are appealing to you.
- What is the purpose of the fence?
- What type of fence would be beneficial if you have pets?
- What type of fence would be safe for your small children?
- Do you want increased privacy?
- Are you looking for a maintenance free fence or is the look of the fence more important?
- Do you have Home Owners Association rules that you must comply with?
- Work out a budget for your fence. Which type of fence can you safely afford?
- ALWAYS hire a professional.
Once you have made your fence selection and are ready to have it installed, you should consider completing the following steps:
- Locate the exact place of the fence installation. Analyze the area closely to make sure that there are no potential problems such as trees and shrubs.
- Tell your neighbors what you are doing so that the new fence won’t cause tension.
- Locate utilities such as water, gas or sprinkler irrigation lines so that nothing gets damaged or hit during the installation process.
- Check your subdivision covenants and your city or county ordinances. There could be a certain type of fencing that your subdivision may not allow and city ordinances often have regulations regarding the height of fences.
- Check with the city to see if any building permits are needed.